- Have you tested the subject lines - subject lines must be attention grabbing;
- Have you segmented your email lists? List segmentation lets you provide a more targeted offer, sending the right email message/offer to the relevant subscribers, increasing the likelihood your reader will click through. In fact, research shows that marketers who segment their lists enjoy 18% more transactions, 24% more sales leads, and 24% greater revenue.
- Have you tried writing shorter emails to increase the probability that your email subscribers will encounter your offer early in the message before getting bored and deleting it;
- Did you personalise your email messages - first name of subscribers;
- Have you include a CTA - call to action - using strong verbs and language that inspires your users to do an action are often highly successful, e.g. “Click Here Now.”"Download now!" Register Now!"
- Have you created a sense of urgency - like putting limits on your offers. This forces readers to redeem them quicker, this could possibly increase your click-through rate;
- Have you Included social sharing options;
- Do you Remove distractions from the email - resist the urge to include a header that includes your website navigation, or include multiple offers with the hopes that at least something in the email will compel readers to click. Don't give readers the opportunity to get distracted but to focus on your offer.
- Have you tried to Include a P.S. The P.S. is a great tactic to reiterate an offer, or to attract the attention of email scanners (let's face it, that's most of us).
- Make sure your emails are mobile optimized.
Click-through rates are important, but don’t put them ahead of the ultimate goal: conversions. It’s quite possible to make the mistake of boosting your click-through rates by a lot, only to end up with fewer sales. That’s not what you really want. The point was to get more clicks and more sales. So make sure that’s happening in every test you run.
Whether you are working on improving your call to action or you decide to change the formatting, it’s important to begin implementing changes to your email marketing campaigns today to see a change in your open rate and click-through rate.
Keep in mind that the chief factors that play a role in your open rates and click-through rates, are the power and importance of an enticing subject line. The subject line should be carefully crafted to excite your subscriber to get that email open and discover the gems that rest inside.